Field hockey sticks it to Chico and cancer

Senior Nicole Pugh keeps the ball away from a Chico player.
Senior Nicole Pugh keeps the ball away from a Chico player.

By Irem Sogutlugil, Editor–

On Oct. 8, the women’s varsity field hockey team played Chico for the Stick It To Cancer event and won with the score of 3-2.

The game started off strong, with both teams having multiple opportunities to score.

Davis made two consecutive fouls in the scoring circle and gave Chico the first two short corners of the game. Chico got the first point of the game off their second short corner.

Senior Sophia Sears brought the Blue Devils their first point of the game, bringing the score to a 1-1 tie.

Davis then got their first short corner, but senior Nicole Pugh was not able to score a second point for Davis.

Junior Leah Pinto made a powerful steal from another Chico player during a short corner, preventing them from scoring. However, the final halftime score was 1-1.

“One of the hardest things about playing Chico is that they are very aggressive and come out hard,” Pinto said.

The second half began with another short corner for Davis. Senior Cara Satre passed to her fellow teammates, who could not get the ball passed the Chico goalie.

Davis had two more consecutive short corners but unfortunately missed an opportunity to score.

Senior Kailey Smith successfully stole the ball from Chico while their opponent tried to move down the field. Chico came back on the attack but goalie junior Autumn Johansson was ready with an amazing save.

Senior Darby Maguire had an amazing attack on the goal which resulted in a foul for Davis. A close shot was made by Pugh during a short corner.

With 2:20 on the clock, Davis was dominating the game making very close shots and keeping the ball on their side. The final score of the second half was still a 1-1 tie.

Smith started the 10 minute overtime strong, which eventually lead Pugh to scoring the second point for Davis with 5:46 left on the clock. The Devils then got their third point with an accidental kick in from the Chico goalie.

With just 41 seconds left in the game, Chico scored and the game ended with a final score of 3-2 Davis.
Coach Sandie Marotti-Huckins was glad her players won, but thinks they didn’t play to their full capability.

“It was not the game I thought it was going to be but this is always a tough game,” Marotti-Huckins said.

Pinto agrees.

“I think that we could’ve come out stronger in the first half, and scored earlier than we did. When we were down one we really came together as a team and started playing our game,” Pinto said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *